Adding media files correctly in xmms2-0.7DrNo+dfsg-2

We assume that you have just installed xmms2-0.7DrNo+dfsg_2, which is the version in Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat Software Repository now (at least it is true when I publish this post). If you suffered some mistake such as

ERROR: Setup function failed for plugin 'DAAP access plugin' !

Congratulations! According to my experience, probably you should have to reinstall it! (evil smiling…)

Now, firstly, you should check which media formats can be supported by xmms2. Briefly, ape, flac, aac/m4a, mp3 and ogg these file formats may meet your requirements. And if you installed xmms2-plugins-all package, the corresponding plugins should be installed successfully on your computer.

Next, find your media files. Put their paths into a m3u file. If you master shell command, it’s very easy to make it. Generally it is

find /path/where/your/media/files/are \
-type f -regex .*suffix >> your-m3u-file

A concrete example is like this:

find /home/au9ustine/ao/ -type f -regex .*ogg >> aofiles.m3u

which means find all ogg files in /home/au9ustine/ao/ and write their paths into aofiles.m3u

Now you can type in the terminal

$ nyxmms2 addpls your-m3u-file

for the above example, it can be like this

$ nyxmms2 addpls aofiles.m3u

Finally, check your xmms2d.log in your $HOME/.cache/xmms2/. If no error occurs, the files should be successfully added

NOTE: Because of the strange bugs in xmms2-0.7DrNo+dfsg-2, I have to add files in this way. New version of xmms2 may fix them, but it depends some quite old libraries (such as libgtk1.2) when compiling during installation. And I’m too lazy to download them manually. 😛 So, …

7zip cannot change working directory in Windows 7

Originally, I just change the default working directory to N:\, but it replied:

Error:
7-Zip cannot open the file
N:\ape.7z.tmp
Access Denied

So, I’ve got 2 guesses:

  1. The problem of 7-Zip itself
  2. The problem of system

Continually, I made another try:

Replace N:\ using F:\

and the answer is NO PROBLEM.

Now, I know that’s the problem of my system. After comparing the security attributes of two disk section, I found N:\ didn’t have an user/group member named “Authenticated Users“. F:\has it, and it has the “MODIFY” authority.

THAT’S THE PROBLEM!

Just right click the N:\ icon, choose “Property”, then “Security” tab, then “Edit”, type “Authenticated Users” and add it to the current disk. In the box below the “Edit” button, check the “MODIFY” item when “Authenticated Users” selected, and OK

Now, you see, it works.

BuildShadowTask Failed unexpectedly

Once I merged the code files from git repository from the remotes on my USB flash disk, I found it did not work after opening in vs2008. Then I searched a lot of solutions from Internet, but it still did not work. The error message might be like this:

The "BuildShadowTask" task failed unexpectedly.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.BuildShadowReferences.BuildShadowTask.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(EngineProxy engineProxy, 
ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, ITask task, Boolean& taskResult) 
APITestProject

At that time, I suddenly found that it has strong relation of accessor of private class. Maybe the private accessor had been broken. So, I deleted the old ones, and created a new private accessor. If you don’t know how to create it, you can visit here.

As expected, problem solved.

Emacs Font Settings using xresources to enable display Chinese character

Preliminaries:

  1. Ubuntu Maverick or higher (Maybe it works on lower version, but I haven’t tried yet.)
  2. emacs 23
  3. Some fonts such as DejaVu Sans Mono, WenQuanYi Micro Hei, etc.
    1. Solution:

      1. After you installed Ubuntu, you’ll create/find a file called .Xresources. Edit it, append what as below:

        Xft.antialias: 1
        Xft.hinting: 1
        Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
      2. Similarly, you’ll create/find the file .emacs. Edit it like this:
        (set-default-font "DejaVu Sans Mono-12")
        (set-fontset-font (frame-parameter nil 'font)
                      'han '("WenQuanYi Micro Hei Mono" . "unicode-bmp")
        
      3. Then type xrdb ~/.Xresources
      4. You’ll make it if you’re lucky enough